What You NeedTo get started all you need is a blender. If you can afford it, I recommend that you go out and get a Vitamix, a high-powered blender, right off the bat. You’ll be able to make the smoothest, creamiest green smoothies right from day one. You won’t regret it. Vitamix is the brand that professional smoothie shops use like Jamba Juice and Starbucks. If you want to make drinks just like you would find at those stores, then you need yourself a Vitamix. If you’re not ready to jump in and get a Vitamix, that’s ok. I’ll share with you how to blend your green smoothie properly in a regular blender, it will make all the difference. Just be aware, that if you’re not happy with the texture of your green smoothies it may become difficult for you to enjoy the green smoothies that you make at home. If that’s the case, I recommend spending the extra money on a vitamix. You don’t have to get the newest model (In fact I don’t have the newest model). Just get the basic model and if you buy from Vitamix.com you can make your purchase with PayPal Credit and get the first 6 months without interest. If you don’t mind buying a used model you can look locally on apps like OfferUp and LetGo for a good deal on a used model. Just check to make sure it’s still under warranty or at least test it in person to make sure it works. I was lucky enough to get a great deal on LetGo for the 750 model and it was unopened! You might be lucky enough to find a deal too, so give it a go and see what you find.
My Blender StoryI’ve had a regular kitchen blender, the original Magic Bullet, a Ninja Mega Kitchen System, and now I’m lucky enough to have a Vitamix. Before I had the Ninja or the Vitamix I only used powered greens in my smoothies. Obviously, it works great since it’s already pulverized. However, to have the freshest produce bursting with nutrients that you know haven’t yet degraded, fresh greens are the best way to go. When I was using a Ninja, I did not enjoy drinking the green smoothies that I made because it left giant chunks of greens and vegetables in the smoothie and I was not a happy camper. As soon as I could, I got a Vitamix and now I can make more tasty, smooth and creamy smoothies for years to come!
Directions For a Regular Kitchen BlenderIf you have a regular blender, it’s not strong enough to blend regular greens for a smooth consistency. I recommend that you purchase baby greens for your smoothies. Baby greens are softer and easier to break down. Here’s the order to blend your smoothie with a regular kitchen blender.
- Put your liquids and greens in the blender first and blend on high speed. This allows the greens to have as much contact as possible with the blades to get broken down into tiny pieces.
- Once the greens have gotten to a good consistency add the fruit and blend.
- Then add the other extras like protein powders, nut butters, chia seeds, spices, etc and blend.
- 1/2 c almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla)
- 1/2 c water
- 2 cups baby spinach (I used 50/50 spring mix)
- 1 frozen banana (cut into 1/4 pieces, add ice if you’re using a regular banana)
- 1 Tbs peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 Tbs chia seeds (optional)
- cinnamon to taste (I used a few shakes of the spice bottle)
- To reduce calories and fat, use 1 cup water only without almond milk
- For a richer taste, use 1 cup almond milk only without water
I hope that these tips and tricks help you get started on your green smoothy journey! Have you tried making green smoothies before? What has your experience been like? Leave a comment below!